(Full-time, Exempt salary position)
CAIR-Greater Los Angeles Area is looking for a passionate and talented individual to fill the Communications Manager position. Join one of the most dynamic teams defending civil rights on behalf of the American Muslim community, promoting civic engagement, and building coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding. The Communications Manager will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate CAIR-LA’s mission and vision.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and implement an integrated, organization-wide strategic communications plan
- Create a brand/marketing/public relations strategy that will allow CAIR-LA to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted audiences, including the media, public officials and key influencers
- Curate content and increase audience engagement on CAIR-LA’s social media channels
- Serve as lead point person on media interactions (editors, reporters, producers and other media professionals) that help promote and/or impact the organization and actively cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage of issues of strategic importance to the sector, as well as CAIR-LA’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Represent CAIR-LA through public speaking and community engagements
- Manage and speak at various press conferences and events; prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material
- Draft and edit all external communications, including: press statements/releases, e-mails, e-newsletters and action alerts
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and website content
- Conduct media trainings for community members
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred — in the field of Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations or related field
- 3-5 years of work experience in a communications/public relations role. Experience working with media as an on-the-record spokesperson is preferred. Demonstrated experience managing and interacting with the public social media platforms for an organization is required
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical level
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Experience working with the American Muslim Community
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
Please send (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, (3) a brief example of your writing, and (4) the names and contact information of three references, to: email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Manager.”
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.