CAIR California Chief Operating Officer
Schedule type: Full-time, Exempt
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, California (CAIR-CA) is hiring for an experienced Chief Operating Officer (COO) to oversee the organization’s ongoing operations, statewide programs and services, strategic planning, and growth. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the COO will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for all CAIR-CA statewide programs. The COO will also provide leadership to the CAIR-CA strategic planning process and will implement new programmatic strategic initiatives. In addition, the COO will develop new programs as needs emerge, coordinate with the CAIR-CA executive directors at the local offices on streamlining programs and operations, ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations and laws, and work with CAIR-CA Board of Directors to keep them abreast of operational and programmatic strategies and challenges.
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Advise the CEO, Board of Directors, and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters.
- Serve as the management liaison to the board and audit committee.
- Contribute to the development of CAIR-CA’s strategic plan, goals, and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
- Spearhead the development, communication, and implementation of effective growth strategies, processes, and short and long-term strategic goals.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the president informed of all critical issues.
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary, with statewide vendors and financial institutions.
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance and operations teams.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments for statewide staff. Assist local executive directors with operations matters, as needed.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; monitor and evaluate results.
- Attract, recruit and retain required members of the executive team not currently in place.
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process and submit to the CEO and CFO/Treasurer for review and approval. Manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Provide analytical support to CAIR-CA’s internal management team including development of internal management reporting capabilities.
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as cash management, 401K plan, grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing.
- Analyze the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology and financial systems that support the growth of specific programs and the organization overall.
- Ensure that all program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of CAIR-CA.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management reflecting the mission and core values of CAIR-CA.
- Establish policies that promote CAIR-CA culture and vision.
- Collaborate closely with the chief executive officer and produce reports on CAIR-CA operations.
- Positively represent CAIR-CA at all times through a success-oriented and professional demeanor.
Other duties as assigned.
- BA in Business Administration or related field. MA in Business Administration, Law, Management or related areas preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a senior management role ideally with both external audit and in-house financial management experience gained in a high-growth organization.
- Experience either as an employee or board member of a nonprofit organization; must be familiar with nonprofit finance and GAAP with deep experience in program budgeting and fiscal management.
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse work teams, developing an organization-wide strategy for program excellence, engaging community partners, and partnering with a CEO and board of directors.
- Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in her/his work, and has experience of leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact.
- Passionate about CAIR-CA’s mission and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission and values of CAIR-CA to external and internal stakeholders.
- Ability to occasionally travel throughout California to visit CAIR-CA offices to provide on-site leadership support.
- Experience managing human resource functions including personnel, compensation, and recruiting.
- Self-reliant, energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with CEO, CAIR-CA executive directors at local offices, senior management, CAIR-CA’s board of directors, and staff.
- Skilled in organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning.
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Strong analytical and data-driven mindset that translates into leadership skills.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics.
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure and MS Office.
- Commensurate with experience.
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, holidays, vacation and sick leave.
Please send 1) cover letter, 2) resume and 3) three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Chief Operations Officer position.” No phone calls please.
Until position is filled
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.