CAIR California Legislative & Government Affairs Manager
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, California (CAIR-CA) is hiring a Legislative and Government Affairs Manager at the Sacramento office.
Join the largest American Muslim civil rights organization at the frontlines in protecting the rights of free speech, to freely practice one’s faith, to pursue employment opportunities without harassment, to live as an active and engaged American without reprisal. The successful candidate will be comfortable working in a fast-paced and changing landscape of priorities and responsibilities and be able to work independently and on a variety of teams.
Schedule type: Full-time (Exempt, Salary position)
- Build relationships and regularly meeting with elected officials including members of congress to advocate for civil and human rights legislation.
- Set up forums and town hall meetings to connect the American Muslim community to their elected officials and relevant political issues.
- Promote civic engagement (voter registration, voter education, voter turn-out, town-hall discussions, volunteerism, etc.) within the Muslim community.
- Organize statewide government relations program such as Capitol Ramadan Reception.
- Prepare score cards and voting guides on local and state-wide issues.
- Develop campaigns (participating in coalitions, drafting letters, mobilizing the Muslim community, and facilitating awareness) around issues relevant to CAIR’s government affairs policy agenda.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; postgraduate degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Five or more years of experience in public policy and government affairs, specifically in a nonprofit advocacy organization, trade association, state legislature or Congress, or a state or federal agency. Experience working with a political action committee and/or a grassroots program preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present complex information in focused public-policy and advocacy materials and experience with public speaking.
- A track record of successful advocacy with policymakers.
- Knowledge of state legislative processes, with an ability to apply that knowledge to coherent strategy development and implementation.
- Proven ability to develop key relationships and identify and leverage collaborative opportunities with a range of stakeholders and diverse communities.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects and objectives, lead projects, and work effectively with others internally to produce positive results.
- Strong understanding of the inner workings of state legislatures or Congress, committees, government departments and agencies.
- Extensive experience developing policy; advocating before elected representatives, state or federal departments, and agencies; and building and working with coalitions.
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity.
- Basic computer proficiency including working knowledge of MS Office applications.
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission.
- Experience working with the American Muslim community.
- This position reports to the CAIR-Sacramento Valley Executive Director and works closely with the CAIR-CA Executive Directors, legislative staff and communications staff across the state.
- Commensurate with experience.
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, holidays, vacation and sick leave.
Please send 1) cover letter, 2) resume and 3) three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “CA Legislative Manager.” No phone calls please.
Until position is filled
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.