Schedule type: Full-time (Exempt, Salary position)
Location: Office located in Anaheim, CA. Requires travel throughout Greater Los Angeles Area.
Join one of the most dynamic teams defending civil rights on behalf of the American Muslim community. Be at the frontlines in protecting free speech, the right to freely practice one’s faith, the right to pursue employment opportunities without harassment, and the right to live as an active and engaged American without reprisal. The Civil Rights Advocate will perform a variety of support activities of a responsible, difficult and confidential nature including:
- Providing legal administrative support to attorneys in the Civil Rights Department
- Coordinating and conducting intake requests, interviews, follow-ups and responses; summarizing and analyzing intake substance, and presenting recommendations for future action or referral
- Documenting and investigating cases of discrimination
- Perform legal research using computerized data base, online resources and legal materials
- Drafting letters, position papers, and memoranda for cases and assisting attorneys with other document preparation
- Maintaining the case management system of the civil rights department
- Maintain calendar and tickler system for deadlines and timely filing of extensions, pleadings, petitions, and applications
- Organizing and tracking files related to case documents and important transactions
- Serving as a liaison to other groups and entities vital to the positive resolution of cases
- Provide clients with referrals to other needed services
- Generating department reports and statistics
- Providing additional support to civil rights staff as needed
- Organizing and engaging in special civil rights events, forums, and sensitivity trainings
- Paralegal Certification, with 1-3 years professional experience in the field.
- The ideal candidate would demonstrate:
- 1-2 years of experience in the area of civil rights/employment;
- 1-2 years of experience working with clients, customers, etc.;
- Ability to manage and prioritize caseload
- Effective time management
- Familiarity with Westlaw and other legal search engines, proficiency in internet research;
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and an ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Proficiency in Arabic and/or Urdu – preferred
- Experience working with the American Muslim community.
- Salary range based on education, skills and experience
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
This position reports to the Civil Rights Managing Attorney.
Please send 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.