Civil Rights Attorney
Title: Civil Rights Attorney
Job Type: Attorney
Schedule Type: Full-Time (Exempt, Salary)
Practice Areas: Civil Rights/Civil Liberties (Religious Freedom), Employment, National Security, & Law Enforcement Practices
Location: Anaheim, CA
The Position/Role: CAIR-LA seeks a full-time Civil Rights Attorney with a demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy and serving diverse communities. We are looking for a motivated individual with experience and interest in many different types of public interest law who will be expected to identify, strategize, and use creative legal and grassroots advocacy solutions to address systematic issues facing the American Muslim community.
Time Commitment: Full-time with occasional evenings and weekends required
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Conduct intakes and investigate legal claims through effective communication with an incredibly diverse community
- Legal writing including, but not limited to, drafting complaints, letters, and memos; and non-legal writing including drafting community advisories, issue briefings, and reports
- Communicate with outside parties such as attorneys, employers, law enforcement agents, administrative agencies, etc.
- Work to educate and empower diverse community members on their rights through community presentations and material distributions
- Participate in community events and coalition meetings
- Coordinate and conduct public speaking events/educational workshops
- Other duties as assigned
- Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited school
- California State Bar admission (those awaiting results are encouraged to apply, but hiring will be conditioned upon passing)
- 2-4 years of legal experience
- Strong time management skills with a demonstrated ability for meeting deadlines
- Comfort working productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking experience
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
- Experience in civil rights/civil liberties, employment, national security, law enforcement practices, corrections, immigrants’ rights, and/or other areas of public interest law (preferred)
- Experience working with the American Muslim community
This position reports to the Advocacy Manager.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- BAR membership, CLE funding support, and malpractice insurance
Please send (1) a cover letter (2) your resume, (3) a brief example of your legal writing, and (4) three references to: email@example.com with the subject line “Civil Rights Attorney”. No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.