Immigrants’ Rights Advocate (Temporary, Part-time, Non-exempt position)
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, Greater Los Angeles Area Chapter (CAIR-LA) seeks a temporary, part-time Immigrants’ Rights Advocate to work with other staff at the Anaheim office location as part of the Immigrants’ Rights Center (IRC). CAIR-LA is a non-profit grassroots civil rights and advocacy organization aimed at enhancing understanding of Islam, encouraging dialogue, protecting civil liberties, empowering American-Muslims, and building coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
CAIR-LA’s Immigrants’ Rights Center is dedicated to providing high quality immigration services to individuals who would otherwise be unable to afford qualified legal assistance. IRC’s clients include individuals seeking asylum, temporary protected status, adjustment of status, family reunification, and naturalization. The Immigrants’ Rights Advocate would be expected to provide assistance in these areas and direct support to the Immigrants’ Rights Attorney.
Temporary Dates: December 2016 – March 10, 2017 (15-20 hours/week)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct client intake
- Prepare applications and petitions for submission to USCIS
- Participate in community outreach and educational events, including planning, organizing and conducting legal workshops
- Research and analyze law sources such as statutes and case law
- Prepare legal documents such as memos, motions, and briefs
- Generating statistics and data for reporting
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor degree from a four-year college
- 1-2 years demonstrated experience in immigration law preferred, including experience in interacting with clients, case assessment, application assembly, and legal research
- Fluency in Urdu and/or Spanish preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and immigrants’ rights
- Excellent written, oral and analytical skills
- Meticulous attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and an ability to meet strict deadlines
- Ability to take initiative, manage multiple tasks and work independently
- Familiarity with Westlaw and other legal search engines, proficiency in legal research
This position reports to the Immigrants’ Rights Attorney.
How To Apply:
Please submit (1) cover letter; (2) resume; (3) legal writing sample (10 pages or less); and (4) three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Immigrants’ Rights Advocate.” No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.