(SACRAMENTO, CA – 4/30/2021) – The California chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-CA) today welcomed Gov. Gavin Newsom’s announcement that California will send lifesaving oxygen equipment to India as that country faces a devastating and fast-spreading surge of COVID-19 cases.
In a released statement, Gov. Newsom said:
“When communities across the world need help, California steps up. As we surpass 28 million vaccinations and continue to see the lowest positivity rates in the country, we must meet this moment with compassion by aiding those that are hardest hit by this pandemic.
“Everyone deserves quality medical treatment against this terrible disease, and California will answer the call and provide aid to the people of India who so desperately need it.”
California is slated to send the following supplies:
- 275 Oxygen Concentrators. Concentrates the oxygen from a gas supply by selectively removing nitrogen to supply an oxygen-enriched product gas stream. These units are capable of producing 10 liters per minute of oxygen supplied directly to patients via a mask.
- 440 Oxygen Cylinders. These are large metal cylinders designed to store oxygen that are used for both hospital and at-home use.
- 240 Oxygen Regulators. The high-flow oxygen regulators for H tanks are used to adjust and control the rate of oxygen flow. These devices provide for greater efficiency in the rate at which oxygen is delivered to patients.
- 210 Pulse Oximeters. Small sensors generally clipped to the finger, toe or ear lobe that measure the oxygen saturation within an individual’s blood to determine whether they are getting enough oxygen into their bloodstream.
- 1 Deployable Oxygen Concentrator Systems (DOCS). Capable of producing 120 liters per minute of oxygen and is generally used to fill large cylinders.
In a statement, CAIR-CA CEO Hussam Ayloush said:
“California has been a leader in the United States in lowering COVID-19 positivity rates. India is desperately in need of supplies and we are pleased to see state leadership – under Gov. Newsom – reach out to assist others in need.”
“We are hopeful that others will follow the lead of Gov. Newsom and the state of California to provide needed assistance to India, which recently reported nearly 350,000 new cases on Sunday, the largest single day total of cases ever recorded by a single country.”
Even while providing these supplies to India, Newsom said California has a robust state stockpile to rapidly respond to any additional outbreaks that may occur within the state. Previously, California loaned ventilators to Michigan, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada and Delaware and sent millions of items of PPE to neighboring states along the West Coast.
CAIR-CA is California’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice and empower American Muslims.
CONTACT: Communications Coordinator Zoha Raza, 408.418.6902, firstname.lastname@example.org; CAIR-SV/CC Deputy Executive Director Sukaina Hussain, 847.924.9592, s.Hussain@cair.com; CAIR-LA Communications Manager Eugene Fields, 714.851.4851, email@example.com; CAIR-SD Operations & Development Manager Omair Khan, 619.880.4601, firstname.lastname@example.org