Schedule type: Full-time (Exempt, Salary position)
Location: Office located in Anaheim, CA. Requires travel throughout Greater Los Angeles Area.
CAIR-Greater Los Angeles Area is looking for a passionate and talented individual to fill its Community Organizer position. Join one of the most dynamic teams defending civil rights on behalf of the Muslim American community, promoting civic engagement, and building coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop organizing campaigns around key advocacy and civil rights issues
• Represent CAIR-LA in coalition meetings and work collaboratively on joint efforts with community organizations and coalition partners
• Develop strategic partnerships with community-based organizations working in diverse communities in Southern California
• Speak publicly on behalf of CAIR-LA at rallies, town halls and mosque events
• Develop, conduct, and widely publicize Know Your Rights trainings that promote grassroots leadership, strategic issue campaigns, organizing, and coalition building on priority issue areas
• Galvanize support of community organizations, public officials, law enforcement officers, faith leaders, business leaders, donors, and new and diverse communities for organizing campaigns
• Work collaboratively with grassroots leaders, allies, and CAIR-LA advocacy team to execute large and effective community actions (public hearings, protests, vigils, etc.)
• Identify, cultivate, and develop strong community leaders who will lead campaigns that pursue CAIR-LA’s advocacy and civil rights priorities
• Identify, recruit, and train CAIR-LA volunteers to participate in civil liberties and social justice campaigns and programs
• Coordinate and execute Voter Registration, GOTV and Ballot Initiative campaigns in affiliate areas
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree or four years of experience in base building, membership
• Experience in community organizing
• Experience in base building, volunteer recruitment, and leadership and strategy development
• Passion for CAIR’s mission and values
• Strong interpersonal, facilitation, organizing, and communication skills
• Ballot initiative or electoral campaign experience highly preferred
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Self-directed individual, strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple ongoing initiatives
• Familiarity, knowledge and experience working with the American Muslim community
• Work experience with a non-profit organization or in a related field
• Willingness and flexibility to change job requirements as the team grows
• Valid automobile driver’s license and working vehicle required; this position will involve extensive travel throughout the Greater Los Angeles Area. Must be able to accommodate a variable work schedule including nights and weekends.
• Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
• Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
Please send (1) a cover letter, (2) resume, (3) three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Community Organizer.”
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.