Since President Donald Trump signed Friday’s executive order banning non-citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries from traveling to the U.S., dozens of passengers arriving with non-immigrant visas as well as green cards have been detained at airports across the country, and in many cases sent back on flights after questioning. Hundreds of others have been barred from boarding flights to the U.S.
Here's the latest on what's happening and what you can do:
1 – STAY VIGILANT AND INFORMED: Read yesterday's email below, detailing the ramifications of the Executive Order and CAIR's advice to the community. Though a federal judge has issued an emergency stay blocking the removal of all detained individuals with a valid visa or approved refugee application, enforcement has been inconsistent and multiple reports confirm that Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officers at some airports, including LAX, are not fully complying with the order.
2 – TAKE ACTION: On Saturday, President Trump’s travel ban sparked protests at airports across the country. Today, another large-scale protest will be held at 12 PM at LAX. Show up at LAX to speak out against the President's Executive Order and stand in solidarity with immigrants and refugees! Spread the word, and bring your family and friends. See event page here.
3 – STAY ENGAGED WITH CAIR-LA: Sign up to get trained as a higher level CAIR-LA Volunteer and empower us to hold more legal information sessions, immigration clinics and civic engagement workshops. And encourage your local masjid, community group, MSA or youth group to book a workshop with CAIR-LA, today.
4 – DONATE: Do your part to make a difference! Your funds help us provide legal support and other services that protect and empower the community. Our office has been inundated with calls by community members requesting information and legal assistance for family members affected by this Executive Order. CAIR-LA cannot provide these crucial services without support of community members. Please consider becoming a monthly donor or making a one-time donation now! Every dollar counts.
Sent: Saturday, January 28th, 2017 12:09 PM
Subject: Urgent Information About the 'Muslim Ban'
Urgent Information About the 'Muslim Ban'
Dear community members and friends,
Like you, we only recently received the final, signed copies of President Trump's Executive Orders targeting Muslims and refugees. And like you, we are appalled at these attempts to erode our American values by targeting individuals based on race, religion, and national origin.
A complete analysis will take time, but we continue to hear from many of you, worried about what this means for your families and friends. Accordingly, we wanted to reach out and offer some preliminary guidance. We will send out more details as they become clear.
What you need to know right now:
Generally, non-citizens, including green card holders (lawful permanent residents), from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen will be restricted from entering the U.S. for at least 90 days. Non-citizens from these countries who are presently in the U.S. should consult with an immigration attorney prior to any international travel
- However, if you are a green card holder (lawful permanent resident) outside of the U.S. please reach out to an immigration attorney before you travel back to the U.S.
- The refugee program is being halted immediately, for at least 120 days. This will mean that anyone, anywhere in the process, will not move forward. The effort to resettle Syrian refugees in the U.S. is being halted indefinitely
What you should do to protect yourself:
- If you are non-citizen, even green card holders (lawful permanent residents), from one of the seven countries named above, and you are inside the U.S., please plan to delay all international travel for at least 90 days
- If you are a non-citizen from one of the seven countries named above, and you are outside of the U.S., you may face issues at the airport. Please keep looking for updates in the coming days to assess your travel options. If you are facing an emergency at the airport or are coming home in the coming days, please have our numbers on hand (714-776-1177)
- Whether you are a citizen or not, do not permit law enforcement or immigration officers to enter your home without a warrant. Even if they have a warrant, you should not speak to them without consulting with an attorney
What you can do to push back against this:
- Click here to sign up to get trained as a higher level CAIR-LA Volunteer and help present hold more "Know Your Rights" sessions and immigration and civic engagement workshops.
- Click Here to book a general Know Your Rights and immigration workshop for your masjid, MSA or youth group today.
- Call your members of Congress and the U.S. Senate at 202.224.3121 to ask them to speak out against anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant bigotry and oppose these Executive Orders
- Sign a letter of support for S.B. 31, which is critical legislation needed to protect against the creation of a Muslim registry: http://bit.ly/civilrightsbills
Join us for one of our upcoming "Post-Inauguration Panels":
- Islamic Center of Corona on Friday, February 10 at 8:00 pm
- Al Ansar Masjid in Anaheim on Friday, February 17 at 8:00 pm
- Islamic Community Center of Redlands on Friday, March 3 at 7:30 pm
- Islamic Center of Northridge on Saturday, March 4 at 7:30 pm
- Islamic Center of Hawthorne on Friday, March 10 at 7:30 pm
- Islamic Society of Simi Valley on Saturday, March 11 at 7:30 pm
- Donate to support CAIR-LA's efforts.