Dear Friends and Supporters,
I am so proud of what CAIR California accomplished in 2019 to build and defend our future, as detailed in our newly released Annual Report. Our work to enhance the understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, and empower American Muslims improved the lives of thousands of Californians last year. And as we confront the COVID-19 pandemic, our work is more important than ever.
For Muslim communities throughout California, our work takes many forms: defending civil rights, conducting community outreach, advocating for justice, and empowering Muslim changemakers. CAIR-CA is building and defending the future of an estimated 1 million Californian Muslims by transforming people into allies locally and working with public officials statewide to build a more inclusive California.
CAIR-CA also works at the forefront of some of the most pressing national issues. In 2019, we helped hundreds of Californians navigate our country’s complex immigration process, seeking justice for our clients in the face of oppression. In addition, CAIR-CA worked tirelessly to promote cultural understanding and end policies that disproportionately target people and communities of color.
We’re proud to share our achievements from 2019 with you, but our work continues, even in the midst of a global pandemic.
In 2020, we have:
- Continued to fight for the civil rights of members of our community harassed in the workplace by law enforcement, in school and as consumers because of their religion;
- Continued our work to reunite families separated by unjust laws based on geography and religion;
- Continued to engage with lawmakers to pass legislation protecting human rights;
- Continued to provide our youth with the tools to become the leaders of tomorrow;
- And we’ve shifted our resources to best serve those most in need amid COVID-19.
As we continue to build and defend our future, it is important to take a moment to recognize the progress and successes of the past year while continuing to face new challenges.
Chair of the Board, CAIR CaliforniaRead Publication