As Ramadan 2018 enters its last stretch, CAIR Sacramento Valley wants to give you a glimpse of what your donations and support have helped us achieve since last year.
Since then, CAIR-SV’s efforts have included:
- Tripling staff from three to ten. Staff now includes three attorneys; a programs & outreach coordinator; a communications manager who came to us from The Sacramento Bee; an operations & development coordinator; and a community relations coordinator, along with longtime Executive Director Basim Elkarra. Among these employees, three are graduates from UC Berkeley, one from UCLA, one from UC Davis, one from UC Santa Cruz and USC, and one from Sacramento State. All share a passion for protecting civil rights.
- Expanding to four offices – one near the Capitol, a new headquarters, an Immigrant Rights Center and an office in Fresno.
- Launching an Immigrant Rights Center providing monthly free legal clinics with our immigration attorney, who offers pro bono legal advice and support on visa applications, status changes and other immigration needs.
- Filing three lawsuits and helping 100+ community members with civil rights cases, providing our community with over $100,000 worth of free legal services.
- Hosting the largest community town hall in the history of the Sacramento Muslim community, with more than 400 community members coming out to discuss racial injustice and social inequity in light of the loss of Stephon Clark.
- Holding a successful Muslim Day at the Capitol, with over 700 community members attending.
- Overseeing a successful Capitol Iftar event, during which the California Assembly’s Ramadan Resolution was highlighted.
- Leading online social media town halls covering immigrants’ rights in February and the Muslim Ban in April, which gained more than 1.5 million combined impressions on Twitter.
- Gaining the appointment of CAIR-SV Executive Director Basim Elkarra to the California Complete Count Census Committee by Governor Jerry Brown.
- Offering youth the chance to intern and participate in the Muslim Youth Leadership Program.
We couldn’t do this work without your support. We thank you so much for your generosity!
Contact CAIR-SV’s Communications Manager Kalin Kipling at firstname.lastname@example.org.