Updated: April 1st, 2020
CaIR-SD will be providing important COVID-19 updates and resources to this page, please check back periodically TO make informed decisions.
As of Thursday 3/19/20, California’s Governor (Gavin Newsom) has asked that all California residents should stay within their homes at all times until further notice. There are some exceptions to this advisory, residents may leave their homes for the following reasons (while maintaining social distancing):
- They are employed in an industry that is crucial to maintaining security, economic security, public health and safety.
- Visits to gas stations, pharmacies, grocery stores, restaurants providing takeout, banks, and laundromats.
- For exercise.
- Following this stay-at-home directive is essential to limit the spread of the virus and keep our community safe. Please remember that while you may be at a lower risk of becoming seriously ill from the virus, you can spread it to someone who is more vulnerable.
- Confirmed COVID-19 positive cases in San Diego (as of 3/19/20): 105
- All hospitals in San Diego have canceled non-essential surgeries.
- The Phase 1 clinical trial to evaluate a vaccine for COVID-19 has begun in Seattle.
- Residents can dial 2-1-1 on their phone to reach the county’s help line, where they can communicate in 200 different languages. Officials say 2-1-1 has been re-tooled specifically around providing Coronavirus information. Click this link to learn more.
- Text “COSD COVID19” to 468311 to receive updates and alerts from the county.
What if i don’t have health insurance and i need screening or treatment for covid-19?
- Check with your local community health center or hospital to see if fees for testing can be waived
- Waived See if you’re eligible for Medi-Cal
- Waived See if you’re eligible for Covered California
OFFICIAL PUBLIC HEALTH ORGANIZATIONS:
- San Diego County Public Health Department
- Coronavirus Fact Sheets in 9 languages
- World Health Organization
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)
- California Public Health Department
- How to help in San Diego County (Food distributions, blood donations, community response funds)
- Free Meals Program by Muslim Leadership Council of San Diego (scroll to bottom of page)
- Governor’s Office of Business & Workforce Development
- California Employment Development Department
- Labor & Workforce Development Agency Coronavirus Information
- U.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Loan Assistance
UTILITIES + INTERNET ACCESS:
- San Diego Gas & Electric: Moratorium on service disconnections for non-payment
- Spectrum Internet: Free broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students
MENTAL HEALTH + GENERAL HEALTH:
- CDC: Managing Stress and Anxiety
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- Khalil Center
- Glo: Free Yoga and Meditation
- Yaqeen Institute: Faith in the Time of Coronavirus
HOW TO HELP
- Deliver Meals with Meals On Wheels
- Support Financial Hardship Grants
- Support Islamic Relief USA
- Support Workers in Crisis
- Volunteer with Muhsen and Help Families with Special Needs
- Support local food distribution to the elderly