Thank you to the San Diego community for lifting up CAIR San Diego at our 13th annual banquet where we discussed building Muslim political power for 2020. We had a powerful lineup of speakers and awardees including Dr. Abdel El-Sayed, Imam Zaid Shakir, Hassan Shibly, Roula Allouch, and Hussam Ayloush.
We gave the CAIR San Diego Malcolm X & Dr. Betty Shabazz Community Builders awards to 3 organizations: the Border Church, Pillars of the Community, and the Partnerships for the Advancement of New Americans. We also gave the CAIR San Diego Community Courage awards to Carol Kim and Professor Tom Wong.
We talked about building our new 2020 vision for CAIR San Diego building on our legacy work of protecting civil rights while also building political power for the Muslim community. n Support of Civil Rights & Justice for All People.
Your support of CAIR California has helped us become who we are today – one of the biggest Muslim organizations in the country and a force to be reckoned with. With the 2020 Census and Presidential election just around the corner, we needed our community support more than ever. Our annual banquets provide the income needed to combat the hostile and divisive political atmosphere, dismantle Islamophobia, and build a better America for all of us.
Our fundraising goal for the Banquet was $100,000 and we surpassed that raising $110,000, this is what we need to maintain our work. Our end of year fundraising goal is $150,000 – this is what we need to grow our work.
As the year ends we are asking our community to consider what you have given and increase your donation by 10% this year. Your increased donations will enable us to:
· Hire additional attorneys to file more high impact litigation cases and grow our direct services.
· Mobilize as many Muslims as possible in order to maximize 2020 Census and Election participation.
· Expand our services across San Diego County to reach more communities in the communities where our services are needed most. Especially in East County and North County San Diego.
Your donations go to good use. Your support this past year enabled us to:
· Take on Islamophobia with our first annual Islamophobia conference in San Diego and in our fight against racist politicians like Duncan Hunter who this week pled guilty to campaign finance fraud.
· You helped us to lead in the building of a strong anti-surveillance coalition with 40 organizations that is taking on surveillance in the Muslim community and across San Diego County.
· We built the Border Mosque with the Border Church and this story was expanded all over the world as important narrative shifting work.