Protecting Civil Liberties In a Trump Presidency
As 2016 comes to a close, our team is reflecting on the challenges you helped us tackle in this divisive election year and planning for the future. This most recent election cycle has showcased that racism, xenophobia, and Islamophobia have unfortunately moved from the fringes of American society to the mainstream.
Our president-elect and viable contenders for the office of the presidency suggested unconstitutional policies, including banning all Muslims from the United States. As a result, nationwide, our offices saw a spike in reported assaults, bullying, arson, armed protests, and harassment. This rhetoric and violence against Muslims and other minority communities is simply un-American. Unfortunately it has picked up even more since Election Day.
Our Nation is better than this.
Know that CAIR is committed more than ever before to advancing justice, empowering the American Muslim community and building bridges of mutual understanding. CAIR’s team locally and nationwide is flexing its muscles to ensure that our civil rights are defended adequately – come what may.
In light of the elections results, increased hate incidents and the very real threat of policy changes further undermining civil liberties, we need to raise an additional $75,000 before the end of the year. We know that with your support we are in the best shape to tackle the challenges we’ll face under a new administration. We’re counting on you now more than ever.
1) Donating $100, $500, $1,000, $2,500 or any amount via our website at ca.cair.com/sfba/donate or via the PayPal Giving Fund. 100% of proceeds PLUS a 1% match from PayPal will be added to your donation in December when you give through the PayPal Giving Fund http://bit.ly/PayPalCAIR
2) Doubling your donation through your employer’s matching programs. See if your company matches here.
With God’s blessings and your generous donations, CAIR-SFBA will be able to address the new challenges we anticipate for the community.
In 2017, we plan to aggressively grow our initiatives and work by:
- Increasing the capacity of our civil rights department, so that we can offer legal services to the hundreds of clients we serve
- Training and mobilizing hundreds of Bay Area Muslims to engage their elected officials through Muslim Day at the Capitol
- Hosting the third annual iteration of the Muslim Gamechangers Network, a three-month intensive program to train Bay Area Muslim youth on social justice issues and campaign tools
- Organizing in-depth legislative & lobbying trainings for community members and then connecting them to their newly elected officials through in person meetings
- Presenting urgent “Know your Rights” workshops across the Bay Area, reaching thousands with the powerful knowledge of their constitutional rights
Can we count on you to help us reach close the year off strong and prepare for 2017?
Thank you in advance for your support.
Zahra Billoo, Esq.
P.S. Remember that CAIR-SFBA is zakat-eligible and your donation will count toward your 2016 tax deduction if sent by December 31st!