The Council on American-Islamic Relations, California seeks a full-time Community Engagement Coordinator to work within the Advocacy team at the San Francisco Bay Area (CAIR-SFBA) location. The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for leading and coordinating community outreach among various stakeholder groups. This position will report to the Advocacy Manager, oversee the Community Canvassers, and will work closely with staff from all departments. Within our organization, the Advocacy Department’s mission is to catalyze and/or support a transformational movement for justice and against oppression – in all its forms – among Muslims in the Bay Area. Community outreach and engagement is at the heart of our work and makes up a significant portion of all staff work time.
- Promote and strengthen community relations and partnerships
- Support grassroots local leadership development, including community-led initiatives and actions to promote civil rights and racial and social justice
- Support and coordinate other staff in the ongoing process of identifying and evaluating the greatest needs for different types of engagement and providing tailored outreach and community engagement to our diverse constituency
- Lead, facilitate, and support community-building among staff and volunteers, between CAIR-SFBA and community, and among community members
- Establish relationships with community activists and leaders, support volunteer recruitment and engagement, and deploy teams for outreach, events, and activities
- Build, develop, and maintain strong relationships with various community stakeholders, with 50% of work time spent on engaging in spaces in which Muslims of different backgrounds gather (e.g. such as mosques, community centers, and Muslim Student Associations (MSA))
- Through repeated one-on-one and group engagements, liaise with and oversee other staff liaising with Muslim leaders, including imams, sheikhs, halaqa leaders, MSA leaders, and others, including to engage them (to, in turn, engage the community) in various CAIR-SFBA resources and programs
- Market, promote, and conduct CAIR-SFBA outreach, events, and activities (and support ally organizations’ events and activities) through tabling and flyering at Islamic centers and mosques during Friday prayers and other in-person and web-based events
- Recruit, train, supervise, and schedule community canvassers, especially around civic engagement/integrated voter engagement efforts through community outreach, and education and partnership- and alliance-building
Skills and qualifications
- Familiarity, knowledge, and experience working with the American Muslim community
- Work experience in a community, faith based, and/or non-profit organization, or in a related field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including compassionate communication, cultural sensitivity, problem-solving, and asking for help when needed
- Strong interpersonal skills both in person, by phone and on virtual platforms to interface and collaborate with staff, community leaders, volunteers, and donors with professionalism and a willingness to learn from others through hearing different perspectives
- Strong time management, including being intentional about planning ahead based on goals and desired outcomes; ability to prioritize projects and tasks among competing deadlines
- Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office, and virtual and social media platforms
- Commitment to social justice and CAIR’s mission and values
- Flexibility to adjust and contribute to continually evolving work situations and changing priorities
- Bachelor’s degree and/or two or more years’ experience conducting some form of community engagement such as outreach or education and/or direct service provision, working with under-resourced populations
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple ongoing initiatives
- Conversational proficiency in Amharic, Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Somali, or Urdu
Full-time (Non-exempt). Occasional evenings and weekends required.
Reporting Relationships & Location
Reports to the Advocacy Manager. Oversees the work of the Community Canvassers.
- Compensation in the range of $21.62-27.85/hourly, commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- Santa Clara, California. Requires travel throughout the Bay Area (vehicle and driver’s license required)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to applications received by December 31, 2020. Please submit (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, and (3) the names and contact information of three references via the link below.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now