We have an immediate opening for a Managing Attorney to join our growing team in the San Francisco Bay Area. This position offers a unique opportunity to manage a small team of attorneys working on civil rights and immigration challenges impacting American Muslims in a grassroots, community-centered environment. The Managing Attorney will be expected to identify, strategize, and use creative legal solutions to address systematic issues facing the American Muslim community.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide management for the legal staff at CAIR-SFBA, including oversight of legal and advocacy work; supervision and mentoring of staff; and coordination of legal projects and infrastructure
- Identify, develop, and lead litigation efforts, including, preparing pleadings, motions, and briefs
- Manages and oversees legal staff’s work on approximately 400 intakes annually Occasional non-legal writing including drafting community advisories, issuing briefings, and reports
- Communicate with outside parties such as attorneys, employers, law enforcement agents, administrative agencies, media contacts, etc.
- Work to educate and empower community members on their rights through community presentations and material distributions
- Travel for outreach including participating in community events and coalition meetings
All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited school
- California State Bar admission
- At minimum five years of experience advocating for, representing and/or litigating on civil rights matters
- At minimum three years of experience managing a workplace setting including responsibility for human resources related issues and office administration
- Strong time management skills with a demonstrated ability for meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with outstanding attention to detail
- Comfort working productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking experience
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout the greater Bay Area
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
- Basic computer proficiency including knowledge of MS Office, MS Outlook, and WestLaw Next
- Knowledge of cloud applications such as SharePoint, Office365, and social media applications (preferred)
- Conversational proficiency in Arabic, Farsi or Urdu (preferred)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS & LOCATION
The Managing Attorney will be based in CAIR’s Santa Clara office and report to the Executive Director.
Full-time with occasional evenings and weekends required.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- Bar membership, CLE funding support, and malpractice insurance
Please send (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, (3) a brief example of your legal writing, and (4) the names and contact information of three references, to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Managing Attorney”.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.